The purpose of this document is to provide guidance for the Service Desk Manager job description. This document should be used as a basis and guide for document creation.It will be important to identify what is relevant in this template, then customize and use as needed.
About TeamLogic IT
- The Service Desk Manager role is similar in function to a Technical Operations Manager or Director of Operations.
- This template can be utilized in the recruiting process for the roles of Technical Customer Support Manager, Support Desk Manager, Technical Support Desk Manager, Director of Operations, or Technical Operations Manager.
- The salary for the role can range from $75,000 to $100,000 depending on the candidate’s experience or geographical location.
TeamLogic IT is a national provider of technology services and solutions. We help our customers with their current and future IT needs by delivering solutions that assure high availability, security and flexibility for their IT infrastructure.
With more than 200 locations across North America and more than 500 technicians, thousands of businesses consider us their trusted technology advisor. We fill a void in the marketplace because we understand business and
technology and are able to help our clients leverage technology to their advantage. Our philosophy is simple – we work with you the way we’d want someone to work with us.
TeamLogic IT has received a number of awards and recognitions in the franchise and managed services industries and we’re proud of our reputation for exceptional customer service. Ready to join a leading MSP? Contact TeamLogic IT.
The Service Desk Manager’s role is to oversee all Service Desk staff and ensure that end users are receiving the appropriate assistance. This includes the responsibility of managing all processes and procedures related to identification, prioritization and resolution of incidents, including the monitoring, tracking and coordination of all Service Desk functions. The Service Desk Manager is also responsible for planning, designing, and analyzing the organization’s service desk according to best practices, while ensuring high levels of customer service quality and availability. This individual will develop, implement, and oversee policies and procedures to ensure consistent service levels and quick resolutions.
The Service Desk Manager is also responsible for staffing, capacity planning, service process design, performance analysis, and developing proactive resolution plans. The Service Desk Manager will also schedule and direct activities to resolve hardware and software problems in a timely and accurate fashion. The Service Desk Manager will also contribute to escalated problem resolution by giving in-person, hands-on support to end users when necessary.
Service Desk Manager Responsibilities:
- Effectively manages team members, including technicians and advisors, to ensure team. objectives and sales goals are being carried out.
- Displays extensive working knowledge of industry standards and practices, including product. details and company services offered.
- Assists with or performs administrative tasks.
- Develops working knowledge of industry regulations, restrictions, and laws, and ensures service department adheres to all regulations.
- Develop and customize reports for weekly review to ensure operational efficiency and service levels are met.
- Resolves service desk problems and improves current service desk methods to increase productivity and customer service.
- Monitors department issues and client complaints to define patterns and work to lessen those recurring issues.
- Regularly audits work being done and customer service being provided to ensure all standards are met and that repair work is carried out effectively, correctly, and thoroughly.
Service Desk Manager Requirements:
- Develop policies and procedures that outline how problems are identified, documented, assigned and corrected.
- Analyze performance of all operational activities and documented resolutions, identify problem areas, and devise and deliver solutions to enhance quality of service and to prevent future problems.
- Plan and conduct performance appraisals of staff, administer disciplinary action, raises, bonuses and promotions when necessary.
- Develop Service Level Agreements (SLAs) to establish problem resolution expectations and timeframes.
- Prioritize incidents and service requests according to defined processes to meet defined SLAs.
- Liaise with vendors for the procurement of new systems technologies; oversee installation and resolve adaptation issues.
- Manage the processing of incoming calls to the Service Desk via both telephone and e-mail to ensure courteous, timely and effective resolution of end user issues.
- Develop and enforce request handling and escalation policies and procedures.
- Track and analyze trends for incident/requests and generate statistical reports.
- Identify, recommend, develop and implement end user training programs to increase computer literacy and self-sufficiency.
- Oversee development and communication of help sheets, usage guides and FAQs for end users.
- Attend training seminars, conferences and trade shows to broaden knowledge of current and future Service Desk issues and technologies.
- Oversee the development, implementation and administration of service desk staff training procedures and policies.
- Train, coach and mentor Service Desk Technicians and other staff.
- Contribute to escalated problem resolution by giving in-person, hands-on support to end users when necessary.
- Monitor incident trends and anticipate potential problems for proactive resolution.
- Establishing good relationships with all departments and colleagues.
- Ensure company safety and security standards are met.
- College diploma or university degree in the field of Computer Science and/or 4 years equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 2 years management experience.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with desktop operating systems including Windows 7, Windows 10, and Mac OS.
- Experience with server operating systems including Server 2008, Server 2012, Server 2016 is a plus.
- Familiarity with the advanced principles of ITIL.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Proven track record of developing and providing SLAs and Service Desk deliverables.
- Demonstrated progressive experience in the management of a technical support team.
- Kaseya RMM and Autotask PSA Experience a plus
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport building, listening, and questioning skills.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Team-oriented and skilled in working within a collaborative environment.